Saturday 16 February 2008

Weeks 03 & 04 (08) - Blessings of Divine Guidance

My boss has just been made a Director overseeing 2 Railway Divisions (offices) in the South East of England, an area of huge growth potential and great job opportunities. When I joined him 2 years ago, the 2 Divisions were less than 10 staff each. They have since grown to 25 each. With God's help, I have contributed in no small way to that growth, and my boss is well aware of it. In my annual appraisal 2 days ago, he thankfully acknowledged it and asked me for more of the same. But I reminded him that I only work for him 3 days a week and the church is my top priority.

When I look back at the past 2 years, returning to my consulting engineering profession after a gap of over 7 years (at the age of 57 and working only part-time), I am finding the whole experience incredible. Not only was the job a miracle, the success God has given to me was beyond my imagination. I have no choice but to give all the glory to my great God!

My boss is a natural leader. Despite of his humble academic background, he is very ambitious and visionary. He wants to see 100% growth every year. Sadly, I can see his dream being hindered by the 2 Division heads that he has under him. He shared with me privately his disappointment and he is considering bringing in a new head to lead the 2 Divisions if the existing heads do not perform in the next 3 months. The problem is leadership!

Indeed, this is the problem in the world today - in the family, in the workplace, in the government and in the church. This has not changed since Adam's time. Poor leadership results in failures or lack of success all round, affecting the leaders and the ones they lead!

The best leader in the world is of course our Lord Jesus. There is so much wisdom in his Word. "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes..........he ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold......." [Ps 19:7-11 NIV]

As God's creatures, God the Creator is the one who can empower (anoint) us to do great things that brings Him glory. When we follow and obey God like Moses did, we will experience His anointing & His presence. ".....the LORD said to Moses: "Set up the tabernacle...... Place the ark of the Testimony in it......Bring in the table.......bring in the lampstand .......Place the gold altar of incense in front of the ark of the Testimony.......Take the anointing oil and anoint the tabernacle and everything in it.......anoint the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils..........dress Aaron in the sacred garments, anoint him and consecrate him so he may serve me as priest........Moses did everything just as the LORD commanded him. Then the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle......" [Exod 40:1-16,34-38 NIV]

God showed His mercy first to the Jews (the nation of Israel). But thanks be to God, the same mercy is also extended to us the Gentiles. We, "though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root,........Do not be arrogant, but be afraid........Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off......." [Rom 11:17-24 NIV] Let us keep our faith and remain in Christ till the end. If we do so, we will continue to enjoy the blessings (nourishing sap) that comes from the Lord (the olive root).

Therefore, "My son, keep your father's commands.......Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life,"[Prov 6:20-35 NIV]

Amen!

No comments: