Tuesday 11 March 2008

Weeks 09 & 10 (08) - Blessings of Divine Guidance

Lately, I become totally convinced that discipline is the key to success in life. A lazy and undisplined body is the root of much failure; a lazy and undisciplined mind is the cause of the lack of success in life! God, in His wisdom, instituted special events to discipline our mind & body to remember His goodness whilst we are still on this side of eternity, living in a sinful world. With Easter coming soon, it focuses our mind on our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and I look forward to the Easter Fest (Camp) in 10 day's time. :o)

People of God are blessed people, because "Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.......I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." [Ps 32:1-7 NIV]

God's blessing is not limited to the forgiveness of our sins and His gift of eternal salvation. He desires us to enjoy a wholesome and healthy life. "'When a man is cleansed from his discharge,.....he must wash his clothes and bathe himself with fresh water, and he will be clean......'When a man has an emission of semen, he must bathe his whole body with water, and he will be unclean till evening.......'" [Lev 15:13-18 NIV] God wisely teaches us personal hygiene for the body; He actually encourages us to be clean in body, mind and spirit.

Life in Christ is a life of transformation or change. In our 9th Annivesary Celebration in October last year, we chose the theme "Go4Gold", with 3 goals set for the coming year. One of them is Personal Holiness. Holiness simply means God-likeness. We should desire God's likeness in us - in thought, in speech and in action. In theory, it is a very high order because changes are uncomfortable. To achieve it requires discipline or strict training. "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly.........No, I beat my body and make it my slave.....so that......I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." [1 Cor 9:20-27 NIV]

I am learning the lesson of discipline through my training for the 2009 London Marathon. I learn to make my body my slave. A couple of days ago, the Holy Spirit inspired me to make my mind my slave as well. Instead of thinking that I am running 4.2 kilometers (my usual training route), I break it up into 100m lengths. I discipline my mind to run 100m at a time and at the end of each I say "praise the Lord". This morning I tried it and I finished the run in record time and I was still fresh, because I made my mind (and body) my slave. :o)

I believe we can apply this discipline to any areas of our life that we want to change. For example, one can give up smoking by cutting down 1 cigarette a day, and no forgetting to praise the Lord at the end of each day. One will give up smoking in no time. Remember to set small targets and celebrate when each target is met. When we become disciplined people in body and mind, we will experience victory after victory like never before!

"In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil.......A wise man attacks the city of the mighty and pulls down the stronghold in which they trust." [Prov 21:20,22 NIV] May your house be filled with choice stuff from God; may you have victory over all the giants in your life.

Amen and amen!

No comments: