Thursday 28 August 2008

Weeks 33 & 34 (08) - Blessings of Divine Guidance



Finally, I am entitled to a free bus pass and a winter heating allowance. Also, Kim gave me a "60 - Older & Wider" badge (see pic.), which reminds me that the dream of a "6-pack" will now remain a dream, not that it was ever my life goal to have one. Someone says that age is only a number. It is how one feels in the heart that counts. I could not agree more. :o)

Kim & I have been enjoying our time in Hong Kong, sampling the best Hong Kong has to offer (all kinds of cuisines), making myself “wider” in the process. Good job we are staying with our son Nic; the 90 steps climb to his 5th floor flat provides the badly needed exercise each day. In the 32 degree C heat, it really helps to burn up a lot of surplus calories.

We met up with an old relative Uncle Chiu & his wife. Uncle Chiu came from my Dad’s village in China and he worked as a hair dresser with my Dad for many years before he retired some 20 years ago. Today, he is 87 years old and his wife is a young 85. They both keep fit by swimming 30 min. every day. They are a picture of excellent health (see pic.) that put many people 50 years their junior to shame.

The Word of God says in [Ps 90:10] that “The length of our days is seventy years — or eighty, if we have the strength…….” Living to 85 or 87 is a great achievement, yet, because we live in a fallen world, everyone has to face death one day!

The Word of God also says in [1 Tim 4:8] that “For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.” Swimming 30 min. a day is a great discipline that deserves high praise and encouragement, but God’s promise of eternal life has greater value.

At 60, when the physical strength begins to decline sharply, I truly appreciate and understand the value of good health at an old age. But, being in Christ, it means so much more. I cannot help but "praise the LORD…..all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits — who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's…….” [Ps 103:1-6] Yes, when I am in Christ, my youth is renewed like the eagle’s. :o)

Although I came to accept Christ as my Lord & Saviour at a late age of 42, I believe it has helped me to appreciate God more, because I have been forgiven more. In Hope London, I encourage the people to have 3 special occasions a year that we can celebrate God’s goodness. Just like what God commanded Moses, "three times a year all your men must appear before the LORD your God at the place he will choose: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks and the Feast of Tabernacles. No man should appear before the LORD empty-handed: Each of you must bring a gift in proportion to the way the LORD your God has blessed you.” [Deut 16:16-17] Each year, I encourage everyone to attend the Easter Camp, the Euro-convention and the Church Anniversary as our way of thanking the Lord for what He is doing among His people. They are also special times of jubilant celebration.

We celebrate the fact that we will not have to face death in eternity, because Jesus has substituted it with His own death on the cross. "Jesus…..now crowned with glory and honour because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone……and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death…….For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people……...” [Heb 2:9-18]


"By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures. A wise man has great power, and a man of knowledge increases strength; for waging war you need guidance, and for victory many advisers. [Prov 24:3-6] May the Lord grant us His wisdom, understanding & knowledge that we may have the power & strength to live victorious lives while we are still living in this sinful world.

Amen!

No comments: